Thursday, October 1, 2015

Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone

This post first published June 17, 2011.

Author: J. K. Rowling
Published: June 1997
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Series: Harry Potter #1
309 pages (paperback)
 
I’m reading this book as a part of Shannon’s Harry Potter Read Along (see here). I first read this book back in 2000 (I remember because only three Harry Potter books existed at the time), so I was very young then, but I do vividly remember loving the first Harry Potter book. As a child, I’ve read The Sorcerer’s Stone probably a good six or seven times. However, I haven’t read the first book in a very, very long time. I still remember what happens, but at the same time, I forgot a lot of things or didn’t notice certain things.

Harry Potter grows up as a pretty ordinary 11 year old kid with his Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia and cousin Dudley, in their home, as Harry’s parents died when he was baby. He was never loved by his extended family — they make him live in the cupboard under the stairs, only give him their son’s hand-me-downs and try not to be seen with him in public if they can help it — but still, one would say he grew up pretty normally. That is, until he receives a letter informing him that Harry Potter is actually a wizard and that he has been accepted into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
Harry is then thrust into, literally, a magical new world. For once, Harry is playing sports, making friends and enjoying life. However, his tragic past, a past he never really knew he had until he discovered that he was a wizard, haunts him. His parents were killed by Lord Voldemort, the most powerful Dark wizard that ever lived. Voldemort had gone missing — some say he died — after his failed attempt on killing Harry. While enjoying his first year at Hogwarts, Harry and his friends realize that Voldemort’s sinister presence is still present in the magical world, and that Voldemort may be trying to make his return by searching for the fabled sorcerer’s stone.

I’ve always loved this book, and after re-reading it, I realize I still do. I didn’t realize that I had the movie version engraved into my mind until I re-read this book because I re-discovered many things! For one, I completely forgot that Peeves the Poltergeist even existed. I also forgot about the potions and logic riddle as one of the trials Harry encounters underground when trying to rescue the sorcerer’s stone. Re-reading the book brought all these memories back, and it was really a pleasant surprise to rediscover these scenes. Seriously, it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I don’t know what my favourite scene was as a child, but after re-reading this book, I think my favourite scene now is when Harry wakes up on Christmas, and it turns out to be the first Christmas he gets any presents and has friends to hang out with. The whole bit with Weasley sweaters is so funny to me.
I know there’s some few people out there who think J. K. Rowling is an awful writer and yada-yada, and while I don’t think she’s the best writer in the world or anything like that, she writes well enough that millions and millions of readers are charmed and mesmerized by the world she has created. I certainly was. For her first book, The Sorcerer’s Stone is an amazing feat. The book is written for an audience of children, but truly appeals to people of all ages.

Even though this first book is, to me, more of an introduction book to the world than anything else, it does have a strong plot and sets a strong foundation for the rest of the series. I’m really glad I re-read this book; it was about time I did!

As a side note, I really dislike the title The Sorcerer’s Stone and much prefer the UK title of The Philosopher’s Stone. I know they changed it for the US version because the US publishers were afraid children wouldn’t know what a philosopher was, but the ‘real’ stone was called a philosopher’s stone (see?), so I guess I’m just kinda nit-picky like that.

My Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment