Friday, October 2, 2015

The Silkworm

This post first published July 12, 2014.

Author: Robert Galbraith (J. K. Rowling)
First Published: June 2014
Publisher: Mulholland Books
Series: Cormoran Strike #2
455 pages (hardcover)
 
This is book two of Robert Galbraith’s (pseudonym for J. K. Rowling, in case you have been living under a rock for the past year or two) mystery series about private detective Cormoran Strike. I hardly ever read mystery/crime novels, and I maintain, still, that they aren’t my preferred genre of books; however, after reading the first book in this series, The Cuckoo’s Calling, I’ve become a big fan of Galbraith’s/Rowling’s crime books. Probably because there’s just something “vintage” about the novels. Kind of reminds me of an old school private eye novel or movie, especially since this series takes place in London as well, and I really like that. With that in mind, there isn’t anything earth-shatteringly innovative about this book, but then again, I never expected it to be. Do be warned, however, that this second book has a lot more sexual/violent stuff in it than the first (due the nature of the way the victim was murdered, poor fellow).

In The Silkworm, Strike’s private detective business has picked up ever since he solved the Lula Landry case from book one. He’s got loads of clients now, and is almost out of debt. The unfortunate thing is, even though he has so many clients, they all mostly want the same thing: rich men and women hiring Strike to trail their spouses to see if they’re cheating on them, with whom, that sort of thing. Hey, but a paycheque is a paycheque right?

Then Leonora Quine comes into his office one day, asking Strike to please find her husband, who has disappeared. Her husband, Owen Quine, is an author of small fame but thinks he’s a bigshot. He’s just finished a manuscript for his latest novel, in which he includes many people that he knows in real life as unflattering and downright offensive characters. He’s full of drama and loves to disappear every once in a while to cause everyone to panic. However, Mrs. Quine says it’s been an awfully long time since he’s gone away this time, and she’d really like it if he could come back now. She can’t pay him, but she’s sure his agent will foot the bill for his services — Strike isn’t too sure about that, but agrees to take the case, since it’s something different from his usual tailing of cheating spouses, and surely this case wouldn’t take too much time to solve.

However, as Strike investigates Mr. Quine’s disappearance, he comes upon a startling discovery — the gutted corpse of the author. What’s worse, Leonora, Quine’s wife, is dragged away on suspicion of being the murderer, despite her denial. Strike is sure that Mrs. Quine is innocent though. Suddenly, this little side case isn’t so small anymore.

Like I said earlier, the traditional private eye tale that this novel undertakes is refreshingly familiar yet at the same time, exciting. I guess that’s the thing with mysteries — even if you’re using the same formula, your reader can be so driven by a strong desire to know the truth of the mystery that sometimes that’s all it needs to be engaging. Of course, I understand not everyone is going to feel the same way about that, but I found the novel charming and sort of like a throwback to classic private eye novels.

The book does employ the same general structure as the first one in its series — strings of interviews to various witnesses and persons of interests, back to back, followed by a grand reveal at the end by Strike to the cornered murderer. And like before, I enjoyed the interviews, but wished Strike did a little more sleuthing than simply talking to people. I am glad that that did, in fact, happen in this novel. There was a little more digging around to find clues, rather than rely solely on piecing together everyone’s statements. I was especially happy that Strike’s adorable assistant, Robin, got more of a role in his detective work this time around; she even participated in some of the risky things required to solve the case.

Speaking of Robin, I loved the budding relationship (or maybe, should I say, lack of one) between her, Strike and Robin’s fiance Matthew. Also, between Strike and his ex-fiancee Charlotte (again, should I say, lack of a relationship). Even though this is a detective novel and solving the crime is the main focus, I liked how Rowling fleshed out her characters so that they are more than “the detective” or “the secretary”. I’ve always thought Rowling does a great job with characterizations, and all the backstories, personal beliefs and dilemmas, and so on, that she’s given her characters really reinforces my belief.

I really love this series and I can’t wait to read the next book. I am doubtless that the third will also keep me up way too late at night.

My Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment