Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Why Not Me?

Author: Mindy Kaling
First Published: September 2015

Publisher: Crown Archetype
240 pages (hardcover)

I don't normally read memoirs or biography type books. In fact, I don't really read non-fiction at all. I don't dislike non-fiction, but it's just that when I read, I tend to drift towards the fantasy and sci-fi and those are usually made up stories.

I decided to pick up this book because I really like Mindy Kaling. Loved her character in The Office TV show, and also really love her show The Mindy Project. So, why not?

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel. I read this book during my breaks at work, which it was perfect for, because work is super stressful at times and this book was so light and easy to read. And of course, it had a humor element to it, which definitely was great in helping me de-stress during break times.

Reading this book is not really your typical reading experience. What I liked about this book was that it felt like Mindy was talking to you. We were engaged in a conversation, despite me not actually talking to her (and the fact she doesn't actually know me, of course, haha). And it felt like real talk, like dealing with haters and work stress, etc. as well as real stories from her life, such as having someone who she thought was her BFF suddenly abandon her because the friend felt Mindy didn't fit in her life anymore. Who would do that to Mindy? I don't know, their loss!

Since it's Mindy, there are, of course, several chapters that are just full on, fictional humor pieces. It was fun to have a few silly stories thrown in as well. Such as, Mindy's life in an alternate world where she is a school teacher.

By the end of this book, I loved Mindy even more. She just seems like such a fun person to be around! You know, I should really pick up her first book too, and hopefully she'll write more in the future!

My Rating: 4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment