Thursday, October 1, 2015

1984

This post first published June 1, 2012.

Author: George Orwell
First Published:  1949
Publisher: Penguin
326 pages (paperback)
 
I told myself I will try to read more classics this year, so this is the beginnings of my attempt. I have been wanting to read 1984 for a while now. It’s one of those books where you hear a lot about it, and perhaps even know most of the entire story already, despite having not read it yet, because it is so entrenched in our culture. Terms like ‘big brother’ and ‘thought police’ are used in everyday vernacular, and they originated from this book. I suppose I set myself up to expect a lot from this book but it wasn’t exactly what I expected. I wasn’t disappointed with it, per se, though I had expected to like it a lot more. I do like it though.

1984 is the future (the book was written in 1949). The book centers around the character, Winston Smith. I guess you can say he is a pretty ordinary guy. He works as a member of the Outer Party, and on the outside, he acts just like every other Big Brother loving citizen of the country of Oceania. On the inside, however, he loathes the Party and their extremely controlling ways. When he falls in love with a woman named Julia, who also despises the Party, Winston finds his life in constant danger, as their relationship would surely be not approved by the Party. Together, the two of them are drawn to the idea of overthrowing the Party and Big Brother, and unexpectantly find a way that just might make that happen.

My favourite thing about the book is the world Orwell creates. It is scarily similar to many things happening in our world today! It’s almost like Orwell had some prophetic abilities. On the same topic, the world in the book is, of course, in many ways, very different from our real world, and I felt too much of Part 1 and a considerable chunk of Part 2 were spent describing it and giving the history. I think I would have liked it if it was much condensed or if the information was presented in a different manner. I have no problems with the content, it’s just that it started to feel less of a story, and more of an essay.

The characters were understandably a bit bland. I mean, they do live in a very controlling world where the government basically wants everyone to act like sheep and just do what they say. Anybody who sticks out is ‘vaporized’, erased from existence. So it’s completely understandable that the characters aren’t going to be the most interesting characters in the world since they are trying their best to blend in and avoid notice. Anyway, this story isn’t about characters as individuals. The focus is definitely on the society as a whole. The slogans such as FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH and WAR IS PEACE sounds impossible, yet at the same time, the book explains it in such a way that it does sound possible in their world, and when you understand it, the haunting world of 1984 is made even more hopeless — a stark contrast to how the Party portrays their world, as a utopia.

I really enjoyed the ending, that was also one of my favourite things about this book. It’s definitely not a hero-saves-the-world kind of ending — quite the opposite if you know what I mean. And after reading it, I admit I felt kind of depressed because it really does make you feel utterly hopeless. It makes the world of 1984 ever more chilling, to know that even the protagonist can’t escape. You will bow to Big Brother, and if not, well, you never existed. Everyone ends up loving Big Brother, one way or another.

My Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment