Thursday, October 1, 2015

The Shadow Rising

This post first publisjed June 22, 2011.

Author: Robert Jordan
Published: September 1992
Publisher: Tor Fantasy
Series: The Wheel of Time #4
699 pages (hardcover)
 
Four books down now, ten more to go in the series!

In this noticeably lengthier installment of the series, the story begins with more or less all of the major characters in the city of Tear, after Rand has claimed the sword Callandor, but this does not last for long as all the characters set out on different paths. It’s not exactly safe for all of them to be gathered in one place, especially all three ta’varen, as they create “bubbles” in the Pattern (of time, fates, destiny), causing all sorts of dangerous things to happen to themselves and the people around them. The separation of the characters create roughly three major plotlines in this book. Rand decides to follow the People of the Dragon, or the Aiel, to their homeland and hopefully fulfill their prophecies of uniting the Aiel clans. He is followed by Moiraine, Egwene and Mat.

Perrin, having heard about troubles back in their small village at Two Rivers, travels back in hopes of somehow helping them. He is followed by Faile (who he met from the previous book), Loial and Gaul, an Aiel. He eventually meets up with two Aes Sedai, Verin and Alanna. The group helps the Two Rivers with their war against the Trollocs that are trying to invade, all the while Perrin is trying to keep the Children of the Light away from him, who want to capture him as they believe he is a Darkfriend.

Nynavae and Elayne travel to Tanchico, still hot on the trail of the Black Ajah, still trying to figure out what they’re up to. They are accompanied by Thom and Juilin (from the previous book).
Lastly, Min returns to the White Tower in Tar Valon to deliver Moiraine’s message to the Siuan, the Amyrlin, but ends up having to remain in the White Tower at Siuan’s request. Elaida Sedai senses there is something fishy going on between Siuan, Min, Moiraine and this Dragon Reborn business and more or less causes mutiny. This last plotline is not as prominently focused on as the above-mentioned three, but I thought it was the most interesting and exciting.

Whew. So, what did I think? Overall, it was good, but I just wasn’t as into the book as I was when I read one, two and three. The beginning of the book, about the first 200 pages or so, was rather dull. I had become accustomed to the fast paced action in the first three books, so the beginning of book four felt a bit like running over a high speed bump and having to slow way down. After the first 200 pages, it was alright — the exciting parts seemed to come randomly, in spurts. It wasn’t one consistently exciting story, if you know what I mean.

Sometimes I felt like I was reading more description than story as well. This is a really long book, and I feel that it could have been edited and parred down so that the narrative is “tighter”, if that makes sense. But overall, my thoughts are that this is a good book, but to me, slightly disappointing compared to the first three books of the series.

One thing I noticed, particularly the first 200 pages of the story where nothing much seemed to be happening, was that there was a focus on the romantic aspects of relationships Rand and Perrin had with the ladies. I mean, it’s always been there, but the relationships suddenly changed, and it was surprising to me. Egwene suddenly decides she’s going to stop liking Rand so that her friend Elayne can get with him, for one. And Rand just … goes with it! Elayne and Rand are pretty much described as making out all over the place! That was a bit sudden. Also Faile and Perrin become totally in love in this book, which was odd because last book left off with Perrin finding Faile quite annoying. Oh there were hints, I admit, but I thought they were more like kids with a crush on one another, rather than this undying devotion I witnessed.

This is the first book in the series so far that I have read where all their individual plotlines didn’t join up at the end. I had thought that was the going to be the standard in this series but now that it didn’t happen, I’m wondering what is going to happen next.

Anyway, I will definitely be reading book five. I mean, I can’t expect to find every single book in this series exciting on equal levels. As a whole, the series is very enjoyable.

My Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment