Thursday, October 1, 2015

The Iron King

This post first published August 5, 2011.

Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Published: February 1, 2010
Series: Iron Fey #1
363 pages (paperback)
 
I’ve been seeing this book (and its other installments of the series) around on many, many blogs and there’s also this hype surrounding the 4th book, The Iron Knight, that is coming out soon. Soooo I decided I wanted to check out what all the hubbub around this book series is about. I don’t want to miss out on a party when there is one, although I tend to read with cautious optimism when it’s a book that’s beloved by many readers, to save myself from too much disappointment should the book not live up to its hype in my eyes.

I ended up … loving it.

The Iron King is about  16 year old Meghan Chase, who is pretty ordinary, even if she is the school loser. Her only worries are getting her car license, school and whether the popular football player of the school notices her. However, upon returning home one day, she realizes her little 4 year old brother Ethan is gone and replaced by a changeling child who wreaks havoc. Seeing her determination to get her brother back, Meghan’s best friend Robbie reveals that Ethan has been taking into the Nevernever, and that he himself is actually a faery … a rather famous one: Puck.
Meghan traverses into the Nevernever into the Seelie Court, where she discovers something major — King Oberon is actually her real father. Meghan is half human, half fey. Oberon wants Meghan to act like a princess now that she’s in his court, and takes her to a meeting between the Summer/Seelie Court and the Winter/Unseelie Court. It is there that Meghan meets the Winter Prince, Ash, who, despite wanting to kill Meghan to win the favor of his Queen, accompanies her and Puck on their journey to rescue Ethan.

This book was non-stop action. From the moment I picked it up to the moment I finished reading it, there was always something happening, something adventurous and exciting. This was a book where I could just sit and read and not realize how much time has gone by (Studying for exams? What exams?) I’m not exactly that familiar with fey legends and whatnot, and I haven’t read too many books that dealt with faeries (I think the only other faery related book I read was Wicked Lovely, which was okay but didn’t really nab my full interest), but this book has me suckered into the whole fey world now.

I think it’s the world that had me the most addicted to the story. I mean, the plot was fantastic as well, but the world … it felt like Wonderland with a mix of the Labyrinthe. To move around the Nevernever, there’s like secret passageways and maze-like paths, not to mention to move from our world to the Nevernever, there’s even more hidden doorways and whatnot. It all felt very fantastical. They have different territories and the environment of the region is shaped by the kind of fey that live there — my favourite being Nir Na Nog (did I get that right?) probably because I always had a fascination with beautiful, snow covered ice lands. My second would be the iron fey’s territory, because it sounds super cool with all its scrap metal and technology, even if it is horribly dangerous there. Even though these different areas are so vastly different, they fit together really well in the context of the story.

Meghan is a great character. She’s surprisingly courageous and outgoing for someone who’s on the bottom of the school food chain, but perhaps it was the situation (you know, people wanting to kill her in the Nevernever) that brought out these qualities in her. I’m so thankful she isn’t whiny or annoying. She’s got a good head on her shoulder.

The only complaint I have about this book is probably Meghan and Ash’s romantic relationship. I really don’t understand how it went from Ash telling Meghan he’s going to kill her one day … to them kissing and being in love. It kind of just happened — bam! so I’m not completely convinced by their romance. There was no scene that I can remember that helped with the transition. Meghan disliked Ash one moment, and suddenly, Meghan was in love with him. Same with Ash.  I don’t know about you, but I don’t care how gorgeous a guy is, if he told me he wants to kill me and I know he’s dead serious about it, I would find it very difficult to make my feelings do a 180. Yes, I admit, I find Prince Ash very swoon-worthy too, but that kind of gets thrown out the window when threats toward my life is made.

I like Meghan. I like Ash. But I don’t really understand Meghan + Ash.

If you haven’t read this series yet — read it! It’s a fun faery story that doesn’t take itself too seriously, with a cast of memorable characters. This is a case where yes, the book does live up to its hype.

My Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment