Thursday, October 1, 2015

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

This post first published August 12, 2011.

Author: J. K. Rowling
Published: July 1998
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing
Series: Harry Potter #2
251 pages (paperback)
 
I’m re-reading the Harry Potter series as a part of Shannon’s Harry Potter read-along. July was supposed to be the month for the Chamber of Secrets, but unfortunately I 1) forgot and 2) was busy (as evident by the lack of books I posted about in July). But! I am trying to catch up now, before I fall too far behind.

In The Chamber of Secrets, Harry’s excited for his second year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, but before he even has a chance to return, strange things are happening to him, including a disastrous visit from a house elf, and being magically blocked from boarding the Hogwarts Express train. Harry is forewarned that Hogwarts is no longer safe for him to go to, but Harry brushes the warnings aside and returns anyway.

Something is attacking the Muggle-born witches and wizards. Whisperings of the Chamber of Secrets are passed from student to student, about how only the heir of Salazar Slytherin can control the horror within. Worse yet, everyone seems to think Harry might be the heir. Nobody seems to know how to stop the attacks, and if they continue, Hogwarts may be closed for good.

The second Harry Potter book has always been my favourite one in the series. Still is, actually. All my real-life friends seem to prefer The Prisoner of Azkaban (which I also love!) and find The Chamber of Secrets their least favourite one! Not quite sure why, I’ve never understood it — must simply be a difference in preference. I’ve always loved the mystery/sleuthing aspect to the story, as Harry, Ron and Hermione try to discover the culprit. Also, since it is the second book, there is less “introductory” things in this book compared to The Philosopher’s Stone, although there are still lots of new things to discover about the wizarding world here, like floo powder, Squibs, the Polyjuice potion, etc. Always love discovering new things about Harry’s world!

Anyway, this re-read was lots of fun and brought back a lot of memories. There’s a lot of scenes that I have completely forgotten because my memories of the Chamber of Secrets have largely been replaced by the movie version: the Deathday party Harry attends, the Kwikspell letter of Filch’s, to name a few. I always feel a bit warm and fuzzy inside to re-discover these forgotten scenes — it’s like running into an old friend you haven’t seen or thought about in ages.

This book also introduces some characters that become more important later on, like Cornelius Fudge and Ginny Weasley (same name as me! Except I begin with a letter ‘J’ :P). Oh and who can forget Gilderoy Lockhart? When I was younger, I hated him because he was so arrogant … but now, re-reading it as a young adult of 22, I just find him hilarious. Not quite sure why I was so passionately against him as a child, heh.

To answer Shannon’s discussion questions:

1. Did you find the main plot to be free of holes? I found some things to be rather conveniently glossed over, like how Ginny would have been able to command the monster in the Chamber of Secrets, though it doesn’t bother me too much.

I’ve never really had an issue with plot holes in this book. When I’m really engrossed into a book, I usually become blind to plotholes haha. It’s when I’m not really into the book that I start finding things to pick apart, but I didn’t have that issue here at all.

2. Of the new characters introduced – Dobby, Colin Creevey, Gilderoy Lockhart, Moaning Myrtle, the flying car etc. – do you have a favourite and why? Were there any characters you wish we’d seen more of in later books? (I find myself wondering what the car’s up to and how it’s faring).

Of the new characters, I think I like Lockhart the best, just because he’s so ridiculous it’s hilarious.

3. I’ve been avoiding mentioning the movie, but here goes: was there anything in the movie that you felt was done better than the book, or that made you like this story more? I couldn’t help but picture Kenneth Branagh playing Gilderoy, he was so perfect at it, and Tom Riddle and Colin Creevey were just right too, but the rest I’ve more or less forgotten.

I think the movie did a better job with the scene of Harry versus the monster. Their conflict felt very short in the book. The movie also made me like Tom Riddle a lot more than I would have because I thought the actor was very attractive *wink*.

My Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment