Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The Sun Also Rises

This post originally published July 26, 2010.

Author: Ernest Hemingway
Published: 1926
Publisher: Scribner
251 pages (paperback)
 
Summary: The post-World War I generation is given a spotlight in this novel that centers around Jake Barnes and his love, Brett Ashley. Unfortunately for Jake, Brett is preparing to marry somebody else, a mutual friend, but that doesn’t stop the two of them from remaining close friends (who share the occasional romantic moment). The novel follows Jake, Brett and their friends through the Paris nightlife all the way to the bullfighting fiesta in Spain.

My Thoughts: This book was assigned to my American Literature class I took last semester, but halfway through the semester, my professor changed her mind and assigned a new book for us to read (Libra). I had already bought the book though, so I left it lying on my bookshelf and it wasn’t until a few days ago, I decided that I’d pick it up and read it.

I am going to be honest and say that I had to force myself to finish this book. There were many times I found myself just skimming the words but not really reading, and upon realizing I had no idea what was happening because I had skimmed for too long and had to re-read a few pages back. The book isn’t exactly boring — there were many scenes were I was interested and was happily reading — however, as you may have noticed by my sparse summary, I just didn’t really understand what the point of the book was. I didn’t see a plot. As far as I know, this book was like a day in the life of Jake Barnes (or more like, several days). I really liked Brett, I thought she was a fascinating character, and I liked Robert Cohn (Jake’s friend who has a tremendous crush on her) and I like Jake too, and some other characters. They’re all very likeable and have interesting personalities, but that doesn’t make up for the fact that there’s just really nothing happening. The most exciting part of the novel is, I suppose, the bullfighting in Spain, but when I say exciting, I mean that quite mildly. I just didn’t feel the story was building up to anything at all. This novel is supposed to be reflecting what life is like in the generation after the first World War, but it seems that it forgot to provide an actual story, and not just a day-to-day look into the lives of the characters (who, by the way, spend all their time sitting at cafes and drinking until they pass out, occasionally traveling around).

With all that being said, I do realize this is considered an American classic and is highly regarded as one of Hemingway’s best works. I feel a bit guilty whenever I don’t like a book everyone else regards as a classic of literature, but I can’t help that I was bored by it. Stylistically, I totally understand why this novel would be considered so important to American literature. But speaking strictly about how much I, a 21st century girl, enjoyed it, I’m going to have to say not a whole lot.

My Rating: 1.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment