Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The Last Olympian

This post first published on May 9, 2011.

Author: Rick Riordan
Published: 2008
Publisher: Hyperion Books
Series: Percy Jackson & The Olympians #5

382 pages (paperback)
 
This is the final book of the Percy Jackson & The Olympian series (although, if I am correct, there is a spin off series or something in existence) and boy, what an awesome roller coaster ride it was. The Last Olympian is non-stop action, from the very first page to the last. There is always something happening. The story flies by and before you know it, you’re done the book! Even though it is the longest book in the series, it felt like the shortest because there was never a dull moment. Without a doubt, this is the best installment in the series — and isn’t it awesome when the final book of a series ends on such a satisfying note?

The story opens up with Percy and a fellow camper on a bombing mission to destroy Kronos’ ship, but it soon becomes apparent that there is a spy amongst Percy’s friends who is supplying Kronos with the demigods’ every move. Percy, his fellow campers and the gods of Olympus enter into the war against Kronos, who has more or less successfully come back to “life” and is preparing to attack Manhattan — specifically the Empire State Building, where on the 600th floor, Mount Olympus resides. At the same time, there is the constant threat of the greatest Titan monster ever, Typhon, who Percy accidentally released from his prison a book ago. He’s stomping his way across the United States to New York, leaving a trail of devastation behind him. Oh, and while all this is happening, Chiron and Annabeth decide it’s time to reveal the full Great Prophecy to Percy — which causes Percy to question everything he’s been doing up till now.

I think what I loved about the plot in this particular book (besides the speedy action)  is that there’s a lot of intrigue and mystery involved, which kept me guessing and wondering. I just had to keep reading! For example, who is the spy at Camp Half Blood that is actually working for Kronos? What is this mysterious past of Luke’s that Hermes and Annabeth don’t really want to talk about in front of Percy? Who the heck is Rachel Elizabeth Dare really, claiming to be a mortal then doing all these non-mortalish things? And for goodness’ sake, what is the Great Prophecy really all about?? I was positively captivated by the story, and my curiousity kept me glued to the pages.

As with the final book of any series, the ending is doubly important because not only is it the ending for the book, it’s also the ending for the entire series. I’m very happy that the ending satisfied me (though I felt the denouement was a little meh, but I will survive). It tied up all loose ends (that I can think of), there’s a general sense of triumph and accomplishment among the characters, and really, it’s just a great feel-good ending to an epic adventure. For those of you reading this series, trust me: you have a lot to look forward to in this last book and I’m sure it will be one of your favourites in the series.

My Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment