Wednesday, September 30, 2015

A Storm of Swords

This post first published November 27, 2010.

Author: George R. R. Martin
Published: 2000
PUblisher: Spectra
Series: A Song of Ice and Fire #3
1216 pages (mass market paperback)
 
This is now officially the longest novel I’ve ever read. After finishing A Clash of Kings, I dove into book three right away. I haven’t been disappointed by the series yet, and A Storm of Swords has upheld that tradition for me :)

In this third installment of the Song of Ice and Fire series, Westeros is in the midst of a war between five kings all vying for the Iron Throne: Robb Stark of the North; Joffrey Baratheon, the late King Robert’s ‘son'; Stannis Baratheon, King Robert’s brother; Renly Baratheon, King Robert’s second brother and Balon Greyjoy of the Iron Isles. In the North, Robb is winning battles, but has lost Winterfell, his castle, and is now having to deal with that, as well as the fact that House Frey is furious that he did not marry one of the Frey daughters, which he promised in exchange for their support.  In the meantime, Catelyn Stark (Robb’s mother) has released Jaime the Kingslayer — Robb’s most important captive — from his cell in hopes that he can be exchanged for her two daughters’ lives, who she believes are being held captive by Queen Cersei, Jaime’s sister and lover.

Stannis, in the meantime, has the aid of a red priestess from Asshai, Melisandre, who tries to convince him to sacrifice his brother Robert’s bastard child Edric in order for her to help him win the war. Davos, Stannis’ most trusted man, attempts to murder Melisandre.

In King’s Landing, Joffrey is still an arrogant, self centered boy-king. Sansa Stark, held hostage there, is relieved she does not have to marry Joffrey after all, but her happiness is short lived when it is revealed she has to marry someone who she thinks is worse. She eventually escapes from King’s Landing with the help of the most unlikely ally and whisked away to the Eyrie to her psychotic aunt Lysa. Sansa is not quite sure if her situation has improved or worsened.

On the wall, the wildlings are mounting a large scale attack against the Night Watch. The Night Watch has written to all five kings pleading for help, but everyone is too busy fighting their own wars to realize that the Wall is in great danger. Jon is commanded to join the wildlings as an informer, which he has great difficulty doing so while trying not to break any of his vows as a man of the Night Watch.

Finally, in the East, Daenerys Targaryen is building an army, little by little, and conquering city after city as she bides her time and allows her precious dragons to grow. She will not be satisfied until she is sitting on Westeros’ Iron Throne.

Another plot-filled story here, and as usual, I have a hard time condensing it all into a summary. I am happy that this book has maintained the quality of the first two. It was another great read that had me turning the pages, unable to stop. I’m hooked onto this series! Do I think the story is getting better or worse? To be honest, I think it has remained the same, but that’s good too, because at least it’s not getting worse :P (Which is something I worry about with long epic series like these).

Last book (A Clash of Kings) I said I didn’t like Davos’ chapters because I thought they were boring. This book, I liked them a lot more. I even started liking Davos, when previously I just thought of him as a “meh” character. I think what made his chapters more interesting to me is his interactions with Melisandre. Melisandre is a very mysterious character. I am not quite sure if she is genuine, if she is crazy, or if she even has magical powers. Davos wonders the same thing as the reader, so that’s how we got on the same page.

While I was glad to see Davos’ chapters become more engaging, I felt Arya and Bran’s chapters were a step back. Arya and Bran’s chapters were … well, kind of boring, as well as the teeniest bit frustrating because they would JUST miss meeting another character. For example, Bran JUST misses meeting Jon, and Arya JUST misses meeting her mother and Robb. It’s such a tease. I’m glad Arya still is not captured (well, not by anyone who would really be a threat to her) and is becoming even more independent than ever. I really hope she reunites with her direwolf soon (if she ever does). I also feel it’s sort of torturous teasing to have her enter her direwolf’s mind through dreaming, but she never puts two and two together. Bran’s chapters, I felt, just consisted of him wandering and chatting and hiding, and overall, not that exciting. Last nit-picky thing: I am kind of annoyed that Daenerys STILL hasn’t entered the heart of the action in Westeros. It’s been three books. All her chapters are essentially chapters of an independent novel, and probably could be taken out of this book, and it’d still be perfectly good. (Yes I realize Daenerys’ chapters actually WERE made into an independent novel. My point still stands). She has to become more involved with the other characters soon … right?!

However, the majority of the novel was amazing. There were so many twists and turns, so many things I didn’t see coming. I think I liked Sansa’s chapters the most, just because so many unexpected things happened to the poor girl. Actually, I don’t even really like Sansa, but I still hope she becomes reunited with her family because I am a big fan of House Stark (they’re the ones I am rooting to win this entire war … though if Daenerys wins, I will still be pretty happy).

I am not quite ready to dive straight into book four. Well, for one, I am really busy at this time of year with final exams and papers. Secondly, the fourth book is the last book for a while, since the author apparently writes at ultra slow snail speed, so I want to put off the book as long as possible … so that I will still have something to look forward to in the world of A Song of Ice and Fire. Though I’ll probably crack eventually and just HAVE to find out what happens next …

My Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment